Remember when you thought living “green” was just another fad that would pass?
Every day, more and more people make a move toward living a greener lifestyle for themselves, their families and the planet. It’s not just hippy dippy stuff anymore. People are genuinely concerned by the footprint they are leaving on this earth, and are working to improve the ways they interact with the planet in a positive way. If you are interested in starting to live a greener lifestyle without too much effort, then this list is for you.
- Don’t buy power hungry cars like the Devel Sixteen. Get yourself a fuel efficient car. If it looks like the Batmobile, while super cool, steer clear.
- Hang your clothes out to dry instead of using your electric dryer. The age of the dryer very quickly went from being a luxury to being a nuisance. It sucks power at the speed of light, causing your consumption rates to go through the roof. Hang clothes outside – they smell better and use zero energy.
- Walk instead of using your car. Carpool, rideshare, whatever you want to call it – just don’t sit in a car by yourself for hours a week spewing fumes into the atmosphere.
- Cook a lot of food once a week instead of turning on the oven 3 times a day. If you meal plan and cook your food properly, you can use a microwave to reheat food when you are ready to eat it. The microwave uses much less power than a conventional oven. Imagine the power you can save if you turn your oven off for a few weeks.
- Wait until you have a full load of dirty clothes before turning on the washing machine. We know, some things you own are delicate and need to be cared for properly. Here’s a simple solution: just put them in the washer with other delicate and need-to-be-cared-for-items. Avoid running a washing machine that is half empty. It’s just a waste of electricity. Or, don’t buy delicate clothes that need so much attention.
- Use rain barrels to water your lawn. These are awesome for water consumption rates: you can save lots on your water bill, or conserve your well, by using a rain barrel to water your plants, flowers, trees, and lawn. Simply attach a hose to the bottom of your barrel and spray away!
Whether you make drastic changes in your lifestyle, or you make small changes over time, living a greener lifestyle can help you, your family and the planet. You’ll notice that none of these suggestions costs any more money than you are already spending, and in fact, these suggestions will save you money! Imagine helping the planet AND saving money? Try a few and see where you land with them: you might be surprised how easy it is to reduce the impression you are leaving on the earth.